Reply to post: Re: @seawater

Barbie Girl was wrong? Life is plastic, it's not fantastic: We each ingest '121,000 pieces' of microplastics a year

Kiwi

Re: @seawater

The most disturbing is how much is being found in the bodies of sea creatures. I'm not going to include a link. Do a web search for "plastic in sea creatures" and there's a wealth of disturbing information there.

I don't need to look it up.. Across the road is a guy who tours universities lecturing on "food health" and the problems with a lot of the things we ingest. He has a tendency to leave people in no doubt how disturbing things are with the levels of toxins we can find in fish and other sea creatures. Not just plastics either.

I don't believe in "climate change" or "global warming" in the sense of catastrophic this or that in before 2005the next 50 years. I do believe the climate changes, up and down, and much of that based on solar activity[1]. I've seen stuff not come and not go, that's made me a skeptic.

But I also believe we should be protecting our environment - reducing pollution, reducing waste, protecting our energy resources, getting off 'fossil fuels'. And perhaps one of the biggest is protecting our oceans. How much of the oxygen we need is produced by phytoplankton(sp)? What is the effect of these microplastics on them? Is it worth the risk to be dumping all this waste into the ocean when the air we breath largely depends on it?

We need to clean things up and look after our environment, not keep polluting as we are. Otherwise, we won't need to worry about rising sea levels - we won't be around long enough for that to be an issue.

We have one planet. We all share the same air. Let's make a go of looking after it. I don't have kids myself and probably never will - but I have kids in and around my family I care about. My closest friend's first son is a matter of a few weeks old. My oldest friend is near his end and will likely die from COPD. It's a terrible way to die, and not the sort of suffering I even want to contemplate this little baby having to face maybe only in 20 or 30 years time. And if you don't care about others, or the next generation, do it for yourself - especially if you're a Christian. Breathing problems is NOT a nice way to die. And how you treat this planet - you will have to stand before God and give account for every bit of His gift you wasted or dis-respected. Forgiven or not, we will have to account for that - do you want to face that? Yes, sadly (and shamefully!) many 'christians' are amongst the worst polluters - the worst of 'this is my planet, I don't have to care for it, God gave me "dominion" over it therefore I can abuse it any way I want' - God didn't give us this beautiful place to destroy, He gave us a garden playground to enjoy and care for!

[1] From a Biblical POV I do believe in a form of "catastrophic climate change" - the warnings given 2,000 years and more ago that the world would face toxic algal blooms, catastrophic storms and other problems - not so much because of the pollution we poison God's Creation with (although that's a part of it) but because of our selfish natures where we pollute and don't give a hoot. If you built a beautiful place for someone, labouring to give them the best that you could (or made any true "gift from the heart"), and they thanked you for it but then didn't respect it ('regifting' is such a wonderful practice, right? :( ) and even began to destroy it though selfish carelessness, don't you think you'd get annoyed as time goes on? This I am sure is what God feels, and as we push Him away He gives us what we wants and leaves us to our devices.[2][3]

[2] Yes, I did intend to word and spell things like that.

[3] </rant>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon