Reply to post:

Help the Macless: Apple’s iPadOS is a huge update that will enable more people to do without a Mac... or a PC

Ian Joyner Bronze badge

mistergoodbytes1

"Google spies on me rather than Apple"

Apple does not spy on its users. At least not like Google does, and not with the same intent. (But from the rest of your post, you seem to prove that.)

"It is all relative, and I like what I have accomplished."

That is good. As someone who teaches computer skills now, I'm interested in getting students to do things and understand how computers work ... underneath.

But they are doing so, so that others won't have to. There has always been the 'home kit' assembly people who have computers as a hobby. That is how Home Brew Computer Club worked, but Jobs and Wozniak found they had a hit with people who did not want to solder together their own components. Yes, Linux and Raspberry (and others) allow people to do it themselves – and that's great.

But most people don't want to and should not need to.

It is like C system programmers insisting that C is used everywhere (maybe disguised as C++) – that is system programmers fundamentally admitting they have failed at their job of providing abstractions that don't need 'drilling' through.

Although MacOS has the same Unix underpinnings as Linux, most Mac users know nothing about Unix, yet Android users seem to know about Linux (says me staring at a Terminal bash shell with a bunch of gobbledegook from fighting with MacPorts).

It seems most of the criticism of Apple comes from not understanding this paradigm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon