Reply to post: Re: My email addresses?

Uncle Sam wants to read your tweets, check out your Instagram, log your email addresses before you enter the Land of the Free on a visa

GrapeBunch
Big Brother

Re: My email addresses?

I wonder how many fb accounts there are with the name Joseph Smith? Not just the JS's but also admirers of the historical figure? How could ICE tell one from another? And if they get the wrong one, does that mean you're denied entry?

In the old days, you could search for people on fb, and find dozens with even your own not-so-popular name. They've throttled the search results back now. But there's still a lot of people on each of most conceivable user names.

A malicious entity could create full-on First Amendment (free speech) accounts in the names of selected foreigners. We already know that free speech does not apply to foreigners... For enhanced authenticity, and less work, all they'd need to do is copy the existing posts of a gen-u-whine wingnut. Even if the malicious account gets terminated by fb, how does that get treated in the ICE-universe?

No, I have to suggest that the current measures are not the end of the measures. They will creep into spheres that everybody (not just the majority, as now) finds reprehensible. You will conclude that Orwell was an optimist. War is Peace. Ice is furore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon