Reply to post: Re: "Cupertino idiot tax"

Apple kills iTunes, preps pricey Mac Pro, gives iPad its own OS – plus: That $999 monitor stand

defiler

Re: "Cupertino idiot tax"

On the face of it I'd agree with you, but we don't know what it's capabilities are yet. It's possible it's worth the money; who knows. My brother used to fit AV equipment and he said some of the mounts for big plasma screens used to cost thousands, so it's possible.

It had better fly for that money. With wings. Silently.

However, for what it's worth, I bought a plasma screen for home when the mounts were that sort of money. Panasonic wanted >£900 for a flat-against-the-wall screen. I got a Barco one for £220 I think. And it was well-enough built that I could have hung ten of those tellies on it.

Just because it's that price doesn't mean it's worth that price. I have no great beef about Apple generally - I don't use their kit because I feel it doesn't justify the cost in general, but I accept that some people want to pay extra for "pretty". I accept that Apple are generally simpler to use than the alternatives, but that they're a pig when they don't "just work". I also think that the price of their top-end kit is outrageous. The word "veblen" springs to mind.

And in all the offices I've been in (from 2 users to 2500 users) I've seen more OS/2 machines than Macs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon