Reply to post: Re: Let me try to address Mr. Bob and co.

Introducing 'freedom gas' – a bit like the 2003 deep-fried potato variety, only even worse for you

jmch Silver badge

Re: Let me try to address Mr. Bob and co.

"...and yet we haven't seen the "runaway global warming", we haven't seen the massive sea level rises, we haven't seen squat."

Nice straw man you burnt there!

None of the mainstream predictions eg UN official IPCC ones, say that runaway global warming, massive sea level rises etc are happening now. What they say is that these things will happen within the next 30-50 years if we don't change drastically reduce CO2 in the atmosphere.

What we ARE seeing is reduction in (Ant)arctic ice, retreating glaciers, higher frequency and intensity of extreme weather events. For example, pro/contra activists can debate for days about temperature records, where the weather stations are, adjustements to historical data sets etc. But the number and intensity of hurricanes for the past century is well known and relatively much easier to record and quantify. And the last 30 years has seen a significant increase.

Incidentally I agree with you that nuclear power stations are much better for the environment than wind turbines, but either of them is significantly better than burning coal. Since you say you are concerned about pollution (but not necessarily about CO2 emmissions), well, have you been to China where sometimes visibility is a couple of km or less because of smog generated by burning coal? Or ever lived close to a coal-fired power station where anything you clean gets grimy within days, and an abnormally large proportion of kids has asthma?

Maybe people who are for, against, or neutral to the idea of reducing CO2 emmissions can all come together to support nuclear power, then? (we can tell the bouncer to stop Greenpeace at the door )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon