Reply to post: Re: They'll never get it.

We ain't afraid of no 'ghost user': Infosec world tells GCHQ to GTFO over privacy-busting proposals

whitepines
Big Brother

Re: They'll never get it.

just to take a few big scalps so that most of the population are using at least one affected app.

...and that's why I only use open source applications if the data is any more valuable than the latest game save on a Nintendo. No open source application available, or TiVoised mobile? Maybe I really didn't need whatever it was in the first place even though Silicon Valley thinks I did.

Not that I've done anything intentionally wrong or criminal mind you, but let's stop pretending anyone that thinks they haven't done anything wrong isn't actually a technical criminal due to our dizzying array of laws and regulations. In the immortal words of Cardinal Richelieu, "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." Even the politicians calling for this have probably committed some offense or other in the past, it's just that the more connected you are and the more resources you have the easier it is to hide the indiscretions (more to the point, people tend look the other way on purpose around such individuals, drawn like moths to a flame to the perceived power of the person).

Yes, I'm aware that this may mean not using mobiles. Or only carrying a candy bar phone for safety when going out, and treating it as the electronic bug, spy, leash, and tracker it is. And yes I'm also aware we may end up like China where you are legally forced to carry one. At that point Blighty is, quite candidly, fucked and some other country will be taking over in a few generations -- not to govern its people, mind you, but to thoroughly subjugate them and take whatever resources are left from the remaining subsistence farmers.

Ah, Karma. Sometimes it operates on scales of centuries. No less sweet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon