Reply to post: Google Home is a bit temperamental

In the living room, can Google Home hear you SCREAM? Well, that's what you'll need to do

Warm Braw

Google Home is a bit temperamental

The only thing I ever say after "OK, Google" is "Stream BBC Radio 4". Oh, and "Stop", usually at around 08:10am. If they'd put a button on it I could bind to that task, they could save themselves a fortune on underpaid linguists and AI.

Despite the expenditure, all that AI is either too stupid to work out that it has only one task or constantly indignant that it isn't being challenged. I learned to say "Stream" because "Play" would result in the (admittedly well-simulated) voice telling me "I don't understand how to do that". The other day, I got the same response unless I said "Play". Perhaps it's just programmed to mess with my mind. And the volume is completely haphazard. Some days it's quiet, some days it's loud and when it's loud it's deaf because its own feedback drowns out anything you might be shouting at it - wait for a a pause in the conversation (and that might mean suffering through John Humphrys until Melvyn Bragg loses his thread) and suddenly it gets the message.

WIth the addition of an FM tuner and the removal of the WiFi, it would make a nice piece of kit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon