Reply to post: Microsoft still doesn't know what an operating system is

'Evolution of the PC ecosystem'? Microsoft's 'modern' OS reminds us of the Windows RT days

martinusher Silver badge

Microsoft still doesn't know what an operating system is

Its been 30-40 years and they still haven't figured out basic stuff like what an operating system is.

I reckon it all went wrong for them because their model of a machine is a PC -- their idea of a 'user' is a human banging away on a keyboard (or equivalent). Their idea of 'features' is how appealing the UI looks considering the fashions of the day. This model served to make them a lot of money but its always been an architectural dead end. Unfortunately since you can't mess with success their idea of extending it is merely to rehash the old terminal / mainframe concept by dressing it up with all the latest buzzwords -- 'clouds', 'IoT' and what have you. Its still as old as the hills, underneath all the fluff and hype you're just buying time on their system.

(I'm just a grumpy old git, one who works with embedded systems (but is supposed to be retired). I find Microsoft frustrating because like many I'm forced to use in the workplace. Every time I interact with the Windows desktop its gained features that I neither want nor need and loses capabilities I need to actually get work done (typically MS has messed up ports -- they still can't make USB work properly -- and IT has decided in the name of security' to disable a few more things). Linux is so easy.....)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon