Reply to post: Re: Honey, we're out of

Germany mulls giving end-to-end chat app encryption das boot: Law requiring decrypted plain-text is in the works

Kiwi
Devil

Re: Honey, we're out of

They will be watching when google sends you the reminder about the booking you have made for a trip for two to spain for a week. They will also be watching your house when you leave to catch the plane, hammer at the ready they go up to your empty house to find an amazon smart lock. They look through what they know about you, find the details for your amazon account, reset the password, approve themselves for entry and simply walk in.

Too much trouble. Walk up to door. Knock. No answer? Smash door in. A friend of mine has spent $hundreds on locks on his doors. Wasn't impressed to find the picture window in the back was smashed, his neighbours - who roughly work the same hours he does - saw nothing.

Next time, the door was forced open with something like a sledge hammer. The 40 + year old wooden frame splintered. Hinges and pins etc all perfectly intact, the frame shattered. Probably took all of 20 seconds. No neighbours at home to hear a thing.

Most home-security stuff is just theatre, and the thieves know it. If anything, it shows there is something of value there and makes you a target.

Why do you have keys to your car?

I have keys to my car because they came with it when I was given it - it'd take more than an hour to bypass the ignition switch but it takes only a second to put the key in.I'm saving time by not changing things as I'd still have some sort of switch that would need to be altered to start/stop the car. May as well leave it as it is. I lock the doors out of habit as a throw-back to a time when I was sure that made a difference. I've also left it unlocked for days at a time. Nothing worth stealing in it, and only people truly desperate or who don't mind being laughed at would drive my car.

-->icon=my car, proof that the devil exists!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon