Reply to post: Re: Proof

AI can now animate the Mona Lisa's face or any other portrait you give it. We're not sure we're happy with this reality

Charles 9

Re: Proof

"Descartes' Evil Demon by definition, has self in the example. Thus either we both have self, and I can detect the demon, or we do not, and neither can it influence me."

Why? Prove that it MUST be both or neither. I propose the demon has self while you don't AND that the demon is FOOLING you into believing you have self. That's the true evil of the demon. He's tricking you into believing you have self-determination.

"Remove the assumptions you wish to test from the thought experiment. Else it's not a test, it's a set paradox"

That's what I propose; that you CAN'T test it, as the thing you're trying to test is outside your context. Like testing for God.

"Citation needed, or proof."

As noted above, I claim an article of faith, which asserts its truth while also being impossible to prove. Actions need not involve motion. Is not thought an action as well, meaning the Demon can implant a thought in my head that includes the concept that I self-thought the thought spontaneously, as many minds often do when they drift?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon