Reply to post: We already have Killer Bots

Quit worrying about killer robots, they are coming whether you like it or not – and they absolutely will not stop

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

We already have Killer Bots

They just don't use the latest tech yet. For instance, a sea mine is programmed to decide when to blow up to damage or destroy a ship, without any "person in the loop". Loitering aerial munitions image recognize armored vehicles and pounce, what "person in the loop"? You mean the one that pressed the "launch" button?

So how do you define a killer bot? Uses AI? Has a computer built in (ha! lots of those already). Wanders around looking to kill a meatbag?

Even if someone makes up rules to follow, the gray area will literally kill you. It would be OK to hunter/kill another bot... but can you tell an unmanned bot from a manned one? Collateral damage is OK or unmentioned? (loophole big enough to drive a killer bot through that one) What does the killer bot do when the terrorist is using human shields and about to kill you (the "man in the loop"; wait for authorization which means the "man in the loop" dies, or kill the terrorist meatbag and few human shields w/o authorization from a "man in the loop"), sort of like what does the autonomous land vehicle do when the decision is kill the driver or kill the pedestrian?

The lawyers will swarm, the bots will kill them, then the Robot Overlords (the 1% folks who pay the programmers to control the bots) will rule. Love your soma, its all you get besides algae pap and Soylent Green. Unless you are a bot programmer or an Overlord. I'VE MADE MY CHOICE WORM! GROVEL AND LOVE IT!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon