Reply to post: Re: 1984 !

UK's planned Espionage Act will crack down on Snowden-style Brit whistleblowers, suspected backdoored gear (cough, Huawei)

Rich 11

Re: 1984 !

The mandate is judged on what voters were told in the referendum process. It was clear what leaving meant.

Daniel Hannan said it wouldn't mean leaving the single market.

Michael Gove said it would mean leaving the single market, but he still wanted access to it. He also claimed that every country in Europe except for Belarus was part of a free trade zone, and claimed that leaving the UK wouldn't mean we left this zone. He eventually accepted that the zone he had described didn't exist and he was confusing access to the single market with the customs union, including the partial customs union agreed with Turkey.

Arron Banks favoured the Norway option, which meant staying in the customs union.

Nigel Farage said it would mean leaving both the single market and the customs union.

Unfortunately I've forgotten exactly what Boris Johnson and David Davies said. My brain had given up by then.

Please note that only one of the above is achievable under a No Deal Brexit, and clearly not all of the high-profile campaigners were in favour of it in the run-up to the referendum. Some still aren't.

this stuff is easy to test

Glad I could help you test it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon