Reply to post: Re: NLP

Nvidia, King's College train robot overlords to spot oddities on radiology scans

I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: NLP

You must train your data on dictionary definitions, there is no other way: you have to know what each word means (because AI needs this knowledge) and what part of speech it belongs to.

For example, a sentence

- Alice goes, the girl sings and she dances cheerfully.

There are three" basic" patterns in the sentence

-- Alice goes

-- the girl sings

-- she dances cheerfully.

There are three descriptive parts here: "goes," "sings," and "dances cheerfully," which belong at the same time to the name "Alice", the noun "girl" and the pronoun "she." That is, the sentence is not really three "basic" but nine "constructed" patterns!

If you do not see the words and their parts of speech - you can not compose these "constructed" patterns and have to lose 66% of all information.

I know this because I met this problem in NIST TREC QA.

By knowing the meanings of words AI can match their structured definitions with data definitions and instantly find what you want.

By training your data as whole patterns you perform absolutely unnecessary trillions of extra operations, lose millions of dollars instead of doing much fewer using dictionary definitions, for few pennies, plus you lose up to 99% of the information.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon