Reply to post: Re: Of course the FCC is doing nothing

Put a stop to these damn robocalls! Dozens of US state attorneys general fire rocket up FCC's ass

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Of course the FCC is doing nothing

I wonder if there are some numbers that robocallers avoid for some reason. Despite the fact that they've increased nearly everywhere and that a lot of my acquaintances complain that they receive them daily, I really don't. I've only received three types of unwanted calls on my phone, and two have ceased entirely. The first was people looking for the former owner of my phone number, but they all took "That guy doesn't have this number anymore" and left. The second was one specific robocaller with the same message and running a very primitive Eliza bot. One time when this called me, I had a discussion with a friend on how terrible the bot programming was, and forgot to hang up on it. I don't know if anyone listened to that, but they formerly called me about twice a week and they stopped after that occasion. So I probably get one robocall a month, usually the type telling me that I've won a prize. Somehow, the robocallers either decided not to call or don't know my number. I wonder if people making decisions are in that situation too. Having previously had a landline that received many more callers, that situation can be quite persuasive in the do-anything-to-shut-them-up category.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon