Reply to post: Re: Or in the words of older Scottish Farmers

Tractors, not phones, will (maybe) get America a right-to-repair law at this rate: Bernie slams 'truly insane' situation

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Or in the words of older Scottish Farmers

Point that was being made was that JD couldn't pull that stunt here as what would happen would the other tractor manufacturers would state they didn't use the same system and JD's custom would dissappear and then result in a quick corporate screeching U Turn along the lines of "rogue staff member misinterpreting instructions, never was our intention to prevent our customers maintaining their machinery" etc.

JD ONLY get away with it due to being a monopoly in North America, having free advertising through various channels AND being the "default" option in the USA akin to "no one ever got fired for buying IBM". Additionally from what I see its also akin to the situation with Microsoft - large scale buy in, farm has always bought JD so why change what works, likely also due to discounts given to wavering customers or to attract new - hence the "cheap John Deere shite" comment (IIRC when they came into the UK market they tried to undercut Massey Ferguson here, but it kind of blew up in their face - my massey is reliable so if your lots cheaper than you must be cutting corners somewhere and it'll break down when I need it most type argument)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon