Reply to post:

Hey, those warrantless smartphone searches at the US border? Unconstitutional, yeah? Civil-rights warriors ask court to settle this

krismach

Uh, UK isn't any better. As a US citizen, I flew in from Paris and was detained and held overnight and thoroughly searched and sent back to Paris. Reason was that I didn't have a return ticket. And even though I made it clear that I wasn't sure if I was going to go to NYC or Taiwan after my London visit, hence why I didn't purchase a ticket yet. They didn't like that answer and accused me of lying. Not only that, I even mentioned that I have dual citizenship, which clearly states where I was born in my US passport, but I didn't have my EU passport with me. So either way, I could legally stay in UK indefinitely, even though I only wanted to visit just for two weeks.

When I arrived in Paris, their passport control of course questioned me as they were wondering why I was sent back. And after hearing what happened, told me that was totally ridiculous, and that I am welcomed in France....

And next time I entered UK on my EU passport, that forced UK passport control to remove this record from their system, as it is not allowed to keep such a record for EU citizens.

Anyway... All I can say is, that I feel your pain, but it can and does happen the other way around as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon