Reply to post:

Customers furious over days-long outage as A2 Hosting scores a D- in Windows uptime

A2HostingUserEnraged

>left them with no unaffected backups more recent than 2 months old

To be fair, I don't know if this is the case across the board, but several people have complained in the twitter alert feed on getting their servers back that the data restored was from February. I've obsessed that feed for days in the search for snippets of information and have seen no messages saying anyone has been set back 3 days, 10 days, one month or any other timespan but 2 months; so it's certainly the state of affairs for many users.

With my having a local backup of our live db from rather more recently than that, I also have no idea whether I'm essentially waiting for nothing, and whether we should just cut our losses, revert to the backup I happened to download and go from there. I have our system running on another host now with that backup so at least internal users can see a stale copy, and would very much like to know when the latest clean backup for our server was taken; we might have been moving along for a few days re-keying what was lost rather than still waiting, possibly for no reason.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022