Reply to post: Re: I can't understand the fuss over CA

Zuck it up: Facebook hit with triple whammy of legal probes, action in Canada, US, Ireland

Martin Gregorie

Re: I can't understand the fuss over CA

In that case, let me explain:

FB is just a money-grubbing business that, after some time, discovered that other biznizzes would pay loadsa dosh for what their users said about themselves and their friends. At that point it went "Wowie Zowie, lookit at all that lovely personal data: whats yours is mine and I can SELL it!". IOW, not a moral or ethic in sight, but how does that really differ except in degree from a lot of other large US corporations, e.g. IBM, Oracle and now Boeing or, for that matter, the Carnegies and Rockefellers in the late 1800s?

CA, on the other hand, seems to have deliberately set out to subvert democratic processes in a number of countries. That seems to have been one of their aims even before they got access to FB's personal data mine. The availability of this data, hoovered up under false pretenses from FB by ethically suspect academics and then sold on to CA was just an unexpected windfall: they'd have got on with their subversive activities, etc. with or without it.

So, what CA was up to was, IMO anyway, a much more serious crime than anything done by FB.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon