Reply to post: The madness is everywhere

Gather round, friends. Listen close. It's time to list the five biggest lies about 5G

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The madness is everywhere

So, anonymous because.....well, should become obvious.

The endless bull isn't just sourced from the telco/providers. I had passing sight of a tender, issued from a chunky arm of govt, asking for an economic impact assessment of 4G vs 5G. Fair enough, hire someone to tell you if it's worth getting excited about. But in the scenarios the bidder was told to model were three assumptions they were *instructed* to model around. Assumption 1: Latency goes from 50ms in 4G to 1ms in 5G. Everywhere. Assumption 2: The minimum coverage by geography for 5G would be 20% higher than 4G. Assumption 3: Magically, without any real explanation as to why, the digital divide in terms of access to high speed connectivity (and the skills to use it) has magically disappeared.

Now I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that on the basis of those building blocks the report is gonna say that 5G is now the most economically powerful, most inclusive and downright Unicorn-y change in communications infrastructure ever imagined. Hoorah! Open the taps of public funding!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon