Reply to post: Delusional

Tesla touts totally safe, not at all worrying self-driving cars – this time using custom chips

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Delusional

As others have noted, the speed of the processor seems largely irrelevant to the real issue. Fundamentally the current algorithms that control these “AI” cars cannot, in any sensible way, think for themselves. This is almost certainly deliberate as it would be all but impossible to predict the behaviour of a self driving car that could perform such a feat (and therefore, even if we could build such a thing, hugely reckless to unleash them on public roads). Unfortunately, lacking this “think on your feet” ability, these cars are entirely constrained to handling situations they have been explicitly trained on. Given I cannot see how it is possible to train a car for every possible situation, I find it hard to believe any claims of impending success. My big concern is that many governments will fall for the hype / propaganda and green light them well before they are even vaguely ready. The current safely claims / comparisons are so ridiculously biased it beggars belief. Comparing the safety record of brand new, high end sports cars, driven entirely within posted speed limits, almost entirely on highways in largely dry climates with average human behaviour seems borderline fraudulent. If a comparison were made with the safety record of similar cars, on similar roads, in similar conditions, at similar speeds, excluding intoxicated drivers (as this is illegal, so seems unfair to include in such a comparison) then I might be willing to reconsider (at least for its use on such highways).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon