Reply to post: Re: Who is Complaining?

Fed up with 72-hour, six-day working weeks, IT workers emit cries for help via GitHub repo

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Who is Complaining?

If you read the article, it's kind of a lot of people in China who are being forced into this and a bunch of other people who did argue about this and are having their comments blocked or erased. They're getting a bit of support from some engineers at github, but not very much. The information was all there.

I am happy to work longer shifts than is the norm, and perhaps six-day weeks. I won't mind doing it, as long as:

1. It lasts for a short amount of time before things go back to normal (two weeks would be acceptable, a month under exceptional conditions, see point 4)

2. There is some direct benefit to me, I.E. being paid extra, additional vacation time, or receiving some other benefit, not the chance that this will be looked well upon and someone will demonstrate their gratitude later

3. There is some planning so I know when this is going to happen. Not that it has to be scheduled a year in advance, but don't come to me on Monday and just announce it

4. There is a real purpose. If something needs fixing or building quickly, that's fine. If two projects need to proceed and I really have to work on both of them, that's fine. If I'm doing my normal job but they want me to work extra hours for no good reason, that's not fine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon