Reply to post: Re: Introducing the all new Allegro*...

Now here's a Galaxy far, far away: Samsung stalls Fold rollout after fold-able screens break in hands of reviewers

oiseau
WTF?

Re: Introducing the all new Allegro*...

What's wrong with a clamshell with a keyboard and a hinge - remember those - I remember those ...

Nothing ...

Just that some marketing drone many years ago pitched a different idea which was taken up by the industry, probably because it was er ... different.

I have the fondest recollections of my HP200lx and have always lamented HP slaughtering it mercilessly, something it actually did to itself some time after that.

It did have some problems (fragile battery door, right hinge cracking on some) but it was a grand design and served me well, even forgave me for risking its life to hack an extra 4mb on it.

Imagine what, with today's tech, you could do using the very same design parameters.

I see this foldable screen thing as a gimmick aimed at pockets with a deep lining, nothing else.

Even the most versatile material you can possibly imagine will eventually break or suffer damage if you go through enough fold/unfold operations.

That's precisely why the gods gave us hinges.

O.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon