Reply to post: Re: photoplating

Take your pick: 0/1/* ... but beware – your click could tank an entire edition of a century-old newspaper

ICPurvis47
Boffin

Re: photoplating

When I was at Uni in the early 1970s, I was on the editorial team for the in-house newspaper. We used to gather news during the week, including photographs (on film), and get the college secretaries to type the text up on A4 paper. The night before publication day was spent cutting and pasting (literally) these sheets of text and photographic prints onto the galleys (A3 sized sheets of thick paper/thin card), and at 7AM I used to take the completed galleys in my car to the printers in Coventry (about 15 miles away). They would produce the print run, and I would drive the papers back to Rugby for distribution.

During this time, I also worked as an apprentice at Gants Hill office of Ford Motor Company (my uni sponsors) producing the workshop manual for the Mark III Cortina, using the same cut and paste system, only there we used Cow Gum to attach the text and images. The excess Cow Gum was removed from the galleys by rolling a ball of set gum around, which meant that the ball got bigger and bigger with continued use. There was a prize at the end of the week for the editor who could produce the largest Cow Gum ball.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon