Reply to post: Re: Not quite relevant, but might share anyhow

Take your pick: 0/1/* ... but beware – your click could tank an entire edition of a century-old newspaper

jtaylor

Re: Not quite relevant, but might share anyhow

I loved my ruggedized Toughbook CF-F8. It had a metal frame with rubber on every corner and a built-in carry handle. The hard drive was suspended using industrial Velcro to absorb shock. The keyboard had drains beneath to divert liquid away from electronics. Everything was recessed; even the DVD drive popped up from the keyboard so there wasn't anything to break off. It was wonderfully lightweight, maybe 2/3 the weight of an equivalent Thinkpad T-series. I'm not sure if replacement parts are as easily available as for my usual T-series, but that might be only what I'm familiar with.

I only wish they weren't so expensive.

I used to bring a white MacBook when I went to customer sites. I got some funny looks when I pulled that out to work on Windows, and one customer even asked if I'd like to borrow something stronger. I switched to the Toughbook. They had similar performance, but the Toughbook made rather a different impression!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon