Reply to post: Re: Cloud must be rather Cloudy

Oracle splats 300 vulns in MySQL, Database, Fusion, etc, pours fresh brew of Java SE terms

a_yank_lurker

Re: Cloud must be rather Cloudy

I am not particularly perturbed by trying cash in on Java, only noting there has been a change in the terms in the Minions' favor. There has to be reason for the change as JavaSDK for a couple decades was available under much more generous terms from both Sun and the Minions. I care about but implications of why do it now. My question has nothing to do whether they are within their legal rights to monetize Java but what does it mean in terms of the overall financial health of Leisure Suit Larry and His Minions.

Companies facing declining revenue and profits from their core areas often try various short term measures to boost both. Often these measures fail to address the underlying internal problems the company faces as mismanglement is ignoring the real problem. Depending on the severity and nature of the problems a company might linger as semi-profitable entity (Not So Big Blue) or go belly up (numerous retailers). This is a historical pattern and the Minions seem to be in the early stages of this pattern. If I had to guess, Leisure Suit Larry's Minions will end up being a semi-profitable entity like Not So Big Blue is now under Ginny.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon