Reply to post: Re: file system access

iOS 13 leaks suggest Apple is finally about to unleash the iPad as a computer for grownups

jake Silver badge

Re: file system access

"All it would do is let us write a few scripts that give us more control, then stay away from it for the future."

I started writing scripts at Berkeley, using Research UNIX Version 5 around 45 years ago. I wrote a new script this morning. I've probably averaged a script per day in between, some large, some just a couple lines[0], some still in use 40+ years later, some discarded after a day or three, but all adding to my personal productivity. Scripts are an integral part of professionals using computers. Anything that doesn't allow scripting is a toy for interface users, not a tool for computer users, much less computer professionals.

The lack of access to the file system and forcing life in Apple's sandbox (I have to register hardware with Apple before I can use it‽ And it doesn't work properly without a network connection‽‽ WTF‽‽‽) alone make it a toy for interface users and not a proper professional's tool ... but the lack of scripting makes it a very expensive joke.

[0] A few very large and converted to C (or whatever) after they became stupidly unwieldy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon