Reply to post: Re: Is this the best that the USA can come up with ?

Uncle Sam charges Julian Assange with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Is this the best that the USA can come up with ?

I don't know how that works, given I don't remember ever reading about two countries competing for a suspect.

The USA may get him, as they got their request in first this time. And presumably the Swedish having withdrawn their last attempt, have to resubmit it?

On the other hand, the Swedish legal stuff is done, it's a European Arrest warrant, so technically should just be enforced - there's no right of appeal if it meets the criteria. Julian's last legal marathon went to the High Court because it was a precedent setting case, nobody having yet tested the new EAW system in court. Now it's old hat, but of course he's been in hiding for seven years... So we could pop him over to Sweden while paperwork for the US one was still going on, and Assange could be lent to Sweden by the UK - to be returned to our custody for whatever sentence he gets for bail jumping - after their process is finished. Or he could be serving his UK sentence while in Sweden?

Then the septics can have him after that? Also Sweden are on the clock for statute of limitations, which the US aren't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon