Reply to post: Re: It is "Embrace, extend, extinguish"

Windows Subsystem for Linux distro gets a preening, updated version waddles into Microsoft's app store

Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: It is "Embrace, extend, extinguish"

The embrace stage is well and truly here.

Anyone noticed new features unique to the Microsoft implementation of the API? If some turn up it will only matter if people use them and Linus cannot implement them because Microsoft has patents on the mathematics. Penguins are quite likely to check the license and not simply click & ignore so there is a fair chance that extensions will be actively ignored.

I am old enough to remember what happens after extinguish... The dead proprietary software gets a license change to something copyleft and comes back like a zombie phoenix to take away chunk of Microsoft's world domination. Too late, already happened.

"Embrace extend extinguish" is not the right strategy here. I could believe "Developers Developers Developers" but personally, Microsoft can take my Linux when the snap it from my frozen dead flippers. It may be time to think about giving Microsoft a little trust. I will consider it when I get back from my snowboarding holiday in Hell.

[On another note, Debian has the same "problem" that if you say "install everything" on a Friday you are going to have a bad day on Monday when it has finished downloading.]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon