Reply to post: Re: Minor correction

Free online tax filing? Yeah, that'll soon be illegal thanks to rare US Congressional unity

bombastic bob Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Minor correction

Yeah, about that, as I just filed mine.

I'm for reforming the entire system, so you can file on a postcard:

a) how much did your household earn?

b) how many people in your household?

c) deduct $xxxxx for each person in your household

d) multiply the difference by XX%

e) how much did you already pay

f) if overpaid, here is your refund amount

g) if underpaid, send us a check for this amount

(you'd then staple relevant forms to the back, like for business owners, capital gains, W2s for wages, and so on, and then just mail it in, which for most people would be a single regular stamp and envelope)

pretty simple, really. Gets rid of 'progressive' tax rates, 'preferred status' tax rates, yet still protects low income earners from having first $xxxxx taxed at all, and it taxes ALL forms of incomes the same, has NO deductions, and would only take a few minutes to file it. No using the tax code to control citizens' behavior, either, or to punish SOME people while rewarding others (i.e. targeted tax cuts and so-called 'progressive' rates nor different rates for married vs single, or deducting home purchase interest, which REALLY SUCKS for people who can only RENT for whatever reason, like houses are just TOO EXPENSIVE to own, like in Cali-Fornicate-You).

An online IRS form could eliminate the need for TAX SOFTWARE, too. It could be free for EVERYONE.

But yeah, fat chance, because (quote from article): "Instead, the America's 140 million taxpayers would be obliged to use fee-charging software from one of the companies that dominates the extremely profitable tax-filing market" [and their lobbying efforts]

the whole income tax thing has been a GINORMOUS RIPOFF from the beginning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon