Reply to post: Re: I laughed when I saw...

Rust never sleeps: C++-alike language tops Stack Overflow survey for fourth year in a row

JLV

Re: I laughed when I saw...

I was amused to see Chef being dissed and Ansible way ahead. Having gone first Chef, then switched to Ansible in frustration, I find that’s at least one point SO nailed.

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019#technology-_-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-other-frameworks-libraries-and-tools

Dont get me wrong. Much appreciated Chef for turning me on to provisioning via code. And basically, I was able to port my hard-learned configuration easily because I had first learned under Chef. But it’s way more effort than Ansible, which has a much clearer model both in its layout and execution. Ansible also maps way more closely to the bash commands that you would use if you did it manually. Almost haven’t written any Python under Ansible, while I had to do lots of Ruby under Chef.

Lines of code is cut 50-60% under Ansible, but more importantly I have 2 control files in one directory instead of dozens in disseminated highly nested directories w Chef.

Note: at large scales Chef is supposed to be quite a bit faster.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon