Reply to post: Previously

BT Tower broadcasts error message to the nation as Windows displays admin's shame

Mike 16

Previously

Pittsburgh, PA, USA had a (somewhat) similar problem

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2009/07/12/A-Morse-Code-typo-lights-city-skyline/stories/200907120242

although it was not noticed for a while, being in Morse Code.

A bit closer to the mark, and for the Penguinistas: I got a new TV some time ago and was doing the channel scan which popped up a very odd "channel". No station ID, and the image seemed to be a "terminal" screen from some Linux installation, with a login: prompt. Of course this was on cable, back when _you_ selected which channel to watch, and the cable presented them all (or, all those in your bundle), rather than you politely asking for a given channel and being eventually served the selected channel (and your choice sold to a bunch of advertisers, but anyway...) Yeah, for a split second I did forget I was on cable rather than antenna, so wondered if this was a result of really bad Tempest compliance. I'm assuming that the head-end for my cable segment had an admin interface that used an otherwise free channel for its console. No idea where I was supposed to plug in the keyboard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon