Reply to post: Re: There should be laws again DRM

No Widevine DRM for you! Developer left with two years of work stymied by Google snub

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: There should be laws again DRM

"When blurays are no longer released that work with my (never Internet-connected), non-spying, first generation player, I won't even buy them on the used market."

I thought I would be doing that too, but due to the hassle involved I simply skipped getting an under the TV DVD/Bluray disc player altogether. Instead, I got a drive for the computer and now I just watch them on that. Unfortunately, the creators don't want to make it easy for me to watch them the way I want to, so I am forced to remove the DRM off the discs and store the content on my HDDs so I can watch them on my choice of playback equipment (a Linux-based PC). Ironically, if all the DVD and Bluray discs that I have bought had just worked out of the box on my choice of playback equipment, then I would never have ended up with 100s of them stored DRM-free on my hard drives. The stricter DRM becomes, and the greater the privacy invasion of being spied upon by internet connected disc players, the more people have to circumvent it just to honestly use the content they buy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon