Reply to post: Irrelevant

Ex-Mozilla CTO: US border cops demanded I unlock my phone, laptop at SF airport – and I'm an American citizen

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Irrelevant

It's a complete red herring to drag party politics into such issues. There has never been any discernible difference between the Republicrats and the Demoblicans when it comes to abusing or ignoring the law, illegal spying and surveillance, or of course extreme and lethal violence.

In case anyone hasn't yet seen Gore Vidal's definitive statement, here it is again:

"There is only one party in the United States, the Property Party… and it has two right wings: Republican and Democrat. Republicans are a bit stupider, more rigid, more doctrinaire in their laissez-faire capitalism than the Democrats, who are cuter, prettier, a bit more corrupt – until recently… and more willing than the Republicans to make small adjustments when the poor, the black, the anti-imperialists get out of hand. But, essentially, there is no difference between the two parties".

Julius Nyerere had a witty variant on the theme:

"The United States is also a one-party state, but with typical American extravagance, they have two of them".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon