Reply to post: "Speak for yourself. A friend uploads his photos to some google service"

Only one Huawei? We pitted the P30 Pro against Samsung and Apple's best – and this is what we found

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"Speak for yourself. A friend uploads his photos to some google service"

I can do queries in Lightroom without telling Google/Facebook/etc where I've been and for how long. Those are all excellent data points for slupers and their advertising customers - and image processing will give 'em even more data - i.e. face recognition will tell them who is in the image, etc.

I never said geolocation is bad - but beware who is exploiting it actually. I do remove all EXIF data from any photo I publish, and I don't publish on slurpers.

Again - if you don't turn off your camera fully GPS won't need to be reinitialized. How long does you phone takes to startup if you shut it down? The only difference is your phone is always on - only the screen is actually turned off.

A "few thosand photos a day" in RAW at least 20-24MB per photo means tens (if not hundred) of gigabytes of required storage spaces - at least for me. You start to need quite expensive phones to store that, and they are thieves targets often more than what may look an old, cheap camera. I guess phones sell better on the criminal market than cameras, now.

Just you took only 500 photos in the weekend, of which 300 in thirty minutes... which means 10 photos every minute, one every six seconds... of quite static street art? Hope it was a performance.

Also, I can backup data from a card while keeping on shooting on another.

It is true cameras are not display devices - larger screens would just make them uncomfortable to hold and use. Even if a phone is lighter to hold, at awkward angles you still need to be able to see the screen to frame.

Most cameras firmware is updateable - butI can't comment on DLNA on cameras I never owned - yet has the Sony HX1 wifi? - I think it hasn't, it's a quite old camera now, with a tiny sensor. Remember 2009 mobes? It could be an unfair comparison.

Anyway I'm more interested in remote shooting capabilities which allow to take images of subjects not liking your close presence.

It should be very practical to plug in a USB battery pack instead of swapping battery. But if you like external batteries for a camera, they do exist as well - and have more secure plugs and comfortable coiled cables.

I don't use Google Maps either, because I prefer Google not to know where I am and where I'm going to... and I can recharge camera batteries while I'm using the others.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon