Reply to post: Re: rwe live in a good time of software

What bugs me the most? World+dog just accepts crap software resilience

Daedalus

Re: rwe live in a good time of software

The problem is software getting into areas where it isn't really needed but can fail dangerously. I used to keep my Sparc 1 running all the time because even logging in was a pain, and I didn't want unnecessary fsck's from powering up. I keep my work laptop running 24/7 because company policy, but I reboot at least once a week. Likewise my personal laptop.

I have seen an iPhone freeze up - my only regret is that I forgot about the two-finger salute and we went to the phone store to watch their guy do it.

But this isn't about Sparc's or laptops or iPhones. It's about chips with everything. It's about chip designers who produce incomprehensible documentation for their hardware and support software (I do not name NXP). It's about dealing with a glitchy I2C when manglement wants features features features. It's about Kanban projects where nobody seems to be in charge but everybody has a mission, just not the one to produce a viable product. It's about designer droids who think that embedded systems come with the same capabilities as high-end laptops (but said droids can't spell or proofread to save their lives). It's about people who talk faster than they think, except when they have to talk about reality. It's about manglers who come into phone conferences utterly unprepared, without even bits of paper to refer to. It's about clients who lambast your software because they found an Android app online that produces results that contradict yours.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon