Reply to post: Re: EFF, Wikipedia, Google...

The completely rational take you need on Europe approving Article 13: An ill-defined copyright regime to tame US tech

Graham Cobb Silver badge

Re: EFF, Wikipedia, Google...

Like whitepines, I use copyright. My company uses copyright to protect the software it creates and to pay my salary. In my personal life, I write free software and I use copyright to ensure it remains free. Both those work perfectly well with 20 year copyright.

I consume very little recorded media: I don't watch much TV, occasionally go the the cinema. However, I do go to live theatre and concerts a lot. I like to support artists. Mostly the works they are performing are in the public domain but some of them are modern works still under copyright. And I read books -- but I only read books I can buy as DRM-free ebooks. So, I am not looking for free stuff.

However, I am looking for a world free from the malign influence of Big Media. And I am looking for a world where artists receive a fair compensation for a strictly limited period after their work. Most importantly of all, I want a world where everything is absolutely guaranteed to enter the public domain after 20 years -- the public domain must be the reason artists, copyright and payments exist: for the benefit of future generations and future artists.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon