Reply to post: Really?

The completely rational take you need on Europe approving Article 13: An ill-defined copyright regime to tame US tech

The Nazz

Really?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47708144

"Robert Ashcroft, chief executive of PRS for Music, which collects royalties for music artists, welcomed the directive as "a massive step forward" for consumers and creatives.

"It's about making sure that ordinary people can upload videos and music to platforms like YouTube without being held liable for copyright - that responsibility will henceforth be transferred to the platforms," he said."

Really? That's a massive step forward for consumers?

Is he encouraging me, authorising me to upload any or all of my significant music collection to the likes of You-tube? Without mentionning how he and others will then sting the platforms for monopolised fees? How disingenuous of him.

And yet as of yesterday he would have me believe, that despite my paying in full for that music, some on multiple formats, vinyl, tape, CD that i ONLY had a licence to listen to it at home. Apparently, now i have licence to upload it wherever and whenever.

Maybe the MEP's should have asked the Music industries ( other media too i suppose) to have got their own house in order first or at least as a condition of this passing. The stories are legendary of the Big Music Corps ripping off the creatives, artists, songwriters etc big time. "Hey look, your album sold a million copies but made a loss". Oh yeah.

Maybe it's time it was made law that Copyright stays with the creator(s), is not assignable in any circumstances, and if any media company wishes to use any part of it, they must negotiate and obtain a licence themselves.

ps how much do i owe the BBC for using their article? (Not that i haven't already paid the BBC for the year).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon