Reply to post: Re: Scotland/Wales want increased powers locally

Brit Parliament online orifice overwhelmed by Brexit bashers

MonkeyCee

Re: Scotland/Wales want increased powers locally

"because there won't be a path back to the EU. "

Probably no path back to the current situation. If the UK joined again it would probably have to accept the Euro. Generally speaking the EU is fine with the UK being part of it, and the UK was one of the drivers for the project. Rather than Germany, France and the UK fighting a war every generation, we work together, along with all the countries that get invaded along the way. Same with NATO on the military front.

"I'm betting that once you're strong enough to be accepted back into the EU you'll be wondering why you even need to be back."

Because belonging to the largest trade bloc in the world is beneficial, especially when it's on your doorstep.

"as I have no dog in that fight."

While I'm sure that's true personally, it is in the strategic interests of the USA* to see the EU and the UK weakened. The EU recognises this, hence why there is quite an effort for unity and a desire to not punish or humiliate the UK.

The fight is all internal to the UK, within the parties/electorate/Parliament** and between Parliament and the government. The only thing all sides agree on is it needs more time. May's deal is just more time with citizen's rights and the Irish backstop and that not only can't get passed, it set a record for a loss.

IMHO the government should revoke A50, then work out what the fuck the UK wants, assuming the EU sticks to the current rules of the EU, then gets a mandate from Parliament on the reality based position, then calls A50. Even if the plan is for a hard brexit, then two years planning with that as the only goal might make it less of an omnishambles.

*and China, Russia, Australia et al

** and the various agendas, such as the DUP wanting to break the GFA

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon