Reply to post: Re: Interesting dilemma

Brexit text-it wrecks it: Vote Leave fined £40k for spamming 200k msgs ahead of EU referendum

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting dilemma

"Delete ther personal data when it's not needed, but keep a record of the consents for marketing activities, etc, for a bit. Not a difficult concept."

How do you identify if a complainant identified by the ICO consented from this "anonymized data"?

In addition, this was an organisation that existed for less than a year (approx October 2015 to June 2016 based on Wikipedia dates). I'm unsure when the ICO notified Vote Leave that the complaints would be investigated and it is unclear from my reading of how long Vote Leave were expected to hold the information as there doesn't appear to be any regulations governing campaign groups vs the rules for political parties that hang around for longer.

If the information required for an email/SMS campaign is similar to other campaigns (i.e. name, address and e-mail address or mobile number with a few consent tick boxes for types of communication you wish to receive) all fall under PII and need to be disposed of.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon