Reply to post: Macro's

College student with 'visions of writing super-cool scripts' almost wipes out faculty's entire system

Jimboom

Macro's

I had my own tale when I was still in school and helping out at a company that one of my parents worked at. My job was to go delete the thousands and thousands of rubbish or dead entries at the end of a database.

So, after I had found the macro function I thought I would be really clever by just setting it to go into entry, delete, then next entry and delete, recursively until I stopped it. Then running it and sitting back. I then thought I would be even cleverer by going into the middle of the rubbish entries and start a 2nd instance of the macro (so that they didn't overlap and cause a problem). I then went to lunch very proud of myself. Came back to the desk to find that when you get to the end of the entries then it automatically jumped back to the beginning of the database and the good objects... which is what the 2nd macro did. It was halfway through the A records by the time I stopped it.

Que one rather panicked call to IT and a restore later and I was back at square one (with all the deleted entries back) with a promise that I would do it the manual way and no more macro's would be used.

Fun times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon