Reply to post: FTL

Yes! Pack your bags! Blossoming planetary system strikingly similar to ours found by boffins

SNAFUology

FTL

Faster than Light Travel, in a collider somewhere on Earth they accelerated a molecule (was it or a composite particle) to near speed of light before it broke apart.

I determine velocity as the time it takes to move you own distance in space, so if you are in a space craft 100 feet long it would be the time to move 100 feet. An extension of this would be time to move away from your initial position in a straight line (compensating for warp of space).

I think though that to travel in absolute terms at light speed you'd have to be Electro-magnetic radiation (light).

Pushing that much energy slowly or quickly, into a bunch of eager beavers waiting to get a slice of real estate on a new planet would render them into bleeding fizzers, the energy would eventually radiate out in all directions like fireworks.

Whilst ripping along at near light speed, hit a dust particle or dust cloud and particles would rip through the craft.

[I note voyager1 encountered solar system & galactic winds going in opposite directions each about 75% speed of light]

Life on Earth will do me just fine thanks, but feel free to sell every bit of area on the planet to who ever wants to purchase it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon