Reply to post: Re: Solving the Windows Issues

They're BAAACK: Windows 10 nagware team loads trebuchet with annoying reminders to GTFO Windows 7

Updraft102

Re: Solving the Windows Issues

The Steam store requires downloading a .deb and manually installing it and Steam itself has its own small selection of games to play.

The Steam store requires downloading an .exe and manually installing it on versions of Windows people actually want to use.

The Steam client is in the Ubuntu repo, by contrast.

The library of games for Linux is smaller than on Windows, but Steam is working on its own version of WINE to expand that. I've already bought one game that was a Windows game but was certified by Steam to run with Proton (their WINE fork). It works fine, and more titles are being added all the time. Steam is committed to preventing Microsoft can't corner the market on software distribution, and that makes them the unquestioned good guys in all of this.

If a game won't run on Linux, I'll just watch a playthrough on Youtube of someone else doing it and enjoy the story that way. I like those kinds of videos, and I save the Windows (or console) only games I hear about for viewing later. Any interesting ones that I see in the Youtube suggestions that have a Linux version, I'll probably play it myself. I've found a lot of games that I later purchased on Steam that way.

Windows 10 is garbage, and since it's "the last version of Windows," it means Windows is garbage. People have been saying that for years, but I always actually liked Windows. That was before Windows 10, though. To call it a steaming pile of manure does injustice to all the steaming piles of manure out there that actually have some redeeming value, like the ability to fertilize crops. I don't care how much software can run on Windows 10... it simply does not exist as one of the options for me. Windows is being discontinued, and only a few more years of security updates for 8.1 remain until Windows is completely defunct. Windows 10 doesn't even exist.

With that in mind, of course I went Linux. What else am I gonna do? If I want to stick with an OS that still gets updates (and that will still get them past 2023), Linux is all there is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon