Reply to post: it is all about the nudges

ProtonMail back up in Russia after regime chokes access over 'terrorist activity'

David Shaw

it is all about the nudges

I use ProtonMail quite a lot, partly for historic reasons as I was in the team that wildly abused Protons in the 80's.

Mostly PM is (deliberately) used for swapping recipies and shopping-lists (dogfood/catfood etc not exothermic shopping).

As an accidental observer of much recent & ancient russian language news output, sadly many of you have been led a bit astray by the deliberate cluster 'nudges' , it is not your fault , the nudges are well designed and high bandwidth.

Big Russia IS an autocratic, kleptocratic government, always has been, always will be ... you might be surprised tho' that the press is apparently freer there than in other parts of the world.

Just one example. In the Russian TV 'Channel One' equivalent of BBC's Question Time, they have an embedded American panel member, [ a genuine valid Putin hating US journo called Michael Bohm], and they let him explain his point of view on all the major stories - in Russian - to the Russian people. The intelligent people on the panel then have a quiet chat with him from their point of view. There is a debate, (sometimes shouting at Michael and/or each other) not a mere 'balanced' soundbite show, where everyone says apparently exactly what the deliberate cluster 'nudge' is telling them to say that week.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2017/12/07/moscow-police-question-american-journalist-michael-bohm-over-registration-a59864 (judge where the Moscow times is actually written, and the trillion dollar budget behind it) 95.215.189.12 , talos say it is NL but 404 my other queries

I agree that evil Putie might well be secretly subverting aspects of our society. So find the evidence you spooks, that's what you are supposed to do - you are not supposed to implement old soviet techniques upon our western 'free press' until the Russians are actually better and more open than us. (by some measures, not nudges)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon