Reply to post:

We can do this the easy way or the Huawei, US tells Germany with threat to snip intel over 5G fears

StargateSg7

WHY is this even a problem?

Use THREE AMD Ryzen 2700x combined CPU/GPU processors running at 3.7 GHz and INTERLEAVING them on a nanosecond time slice interval to emulate ANY Wifi, Edge, GSM, 3G, 4G and 5G waveform at up to 5.5 GHz! I can produce a $1500 US 5G-capable SOFTWARE-DEFINED radio modem that WAAAAAAAY outperforms a $500,000 (400 000 Euros) Huaweii, Ericsson or Nokia mega-5G-switch.

Sheesh! I've got one of these DIY modems on my desk and it can do up to 5.55 GHZ and around 1,000 users if you use GPU portion of the processors to do the DSP and then output to a decent DAC and amplifier for output to the correct antenna configuration! ANY modern 3 to 5+ GHz general purpose AMD, Intel, and ARM processor can EASILY act as a Radio DSP if you interleave your waveform sample inputs/output properly!

At the processing rates of any modern GPU portion, it's not hard to do FROM ONE THOUSAND up to TEN THOUSAND simultaneous users using the SIMD instructions to do parallel processing of digital signal samples. Just add more Ryzen CPU/GPU combos to get more users! I don't SEE WHY we have to pay four hundred thousand Euros when 1200 Euros will do the job of 5G signal input/output plus user call and data stream management!

SDR = Software Defined Radio!

It Work Using General Purpose CPU's and GPU's! Look it Up!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon