Reply to post: Re: Caution.

FBI warns of SIM-swap scams, IBM finds holes in visitor software, 13-year-old girl charged over JavaScript prank...

Tikimon
Angel

Re: Caution.

I agonized for a year over whether to adopt a dog. In my case, that's the same as adopting a child, total integration as a family member and every bit of time and attention I would give to a human kid. Like so many other human-childless people the dog would BE my child. Last August I finally cracked and visited a shelter that a co-worker fosters dogs for. I found a sweet Coonhound/German Shedder mix, named her Kaylee and took her home.

I've never known so much happiness. Every "obligation" I worried about has turned out to be a source of joy. We've walked hundreds of miles together in all weather at all hours, met many nice people and dogs, enjoyed the outdoors when I might have sat at home instead. I've learned that whatever I'm doing, if she wants to play, we play for at least a few minutes. Annoyance? Interruption? Hell no, I always end up smiling and laughing and feeling great! I've become a clock-watcher, I want to go home and see my best girl who's waiting for me.

Dogs have complex personalities and every one different. Rescues either lost a good situation, or escaped a bad one and often have some baggage along. Love and patience can overcome those... same as we would give a hurt, unloved human child. Give someone like that a good loving home and they will blossom and love you forever. In many cases the question becomes, Who Rescued Who? Kaylee and I saved each other.

It's NOT for everyone. However, if you're vacillating like I did for so long... wanting a dogly friend and family, but worried about holding up your part of it... GO FOR IT. I should have done this long ago, but denied myself and a dog or two years of happiness. I'll be crushed when I lose her someday, but I'll go rescue another mutt. There's no replacing Kaylee, but I'll never be without a dog again as long as I live.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon