Reply to post: Re: Indefensible

TalkTalk kept my email account active for 8 years after I left – now it's spamming my mates

TRT Silver badge

Re: Indefensible

Well that informed consent would only apply to relationships initiated AFTER GDPR day, and even after that date, when you give informed consent you could have agreed to it for life. You DO get, under GDPR, the right to change that, to say STOP processing my details, erase them, forget about me. But this is still all too new to be tested in law as to what a reasonable period is. I had a quick dig and there's some shocking figure like 90% of customers present as repeat business after periods ranging from 3 years to 7 years since their last purchase from a company, depending on sector.

I'm far less worried about a name and address and even an email address being retained by a company that I have interacted with, especially where it's a long standing relationship like a telecoms provider or an energy provider or a store for whom I have a loyalty card, than the creeping stuff going on without consent, or where the information is joined up to other stuff.

One person's interpretation of reasonable might well vary from another's. At the end of the day, GDPR gives ME the right to decide FOR MYSELF when long enough is long enough, and that's more power than I think we've ever had like that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon