Reply to post: Re: It's not a gender pay gap

UK tech has a month left to bare gender pay gaps, but less than a fifth of firms have ponied up

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not a gender pay gap

<quote>Parenthood is admirable but we can't expect companies to pay the same to less experienced people who work fewer hours. That would discriminate against better qualified harder working men and women.</quote>

I agree with this, and I am one of those parents who took a career break to look after their children. I took four and a half years away from programming to raise my kids, and when I returned, I took a pay cut (from the actual number I was previously paid a year, never mind accounting for inflation!) to get back in to the workplace. I accepted that this was likely before I had even started looking for roles, and so it was. You take 4 and a half years off from something, you are naturally a bit rusty, and don't make the advances other people do over that time, so it only made sense to me.

What I wasn't necessarily ready for was the number of bosses and frankly female HR representatives who couldn't grasp the concept of a man taking that kind of time away from work to look after their kids. Gender imbalance goes both ways, and reducing it to pay in this manner is frankly insulting to both sides of the argument.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon