Reply to post: No, thank you.

Go, go, Gadgets Boy! 'Influencer' testing 5G for Vodafone finds it to be slower than 4G

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

No, thank you.

1 - more speed = more power needs. Until this it-must-be-thinner designer fad stops in favour of having a battery that actually survives a loo break, I keep my device on 3G and enjoy a whole day between charges. Well, my phone does.

2 - more speed = more inefficiency. I'm old school, so I don't send email with 10MB attachments, I gravely insult marketing people who dare sending me a 20MB powerpoint by email and I do not like sending people directly a picture taken with my super-uber-hi-res smartphone because that just goes against the grain. As an aside, I lost count of the websites that put a mega hi-res pic up scaled down to 640 by 480, and I think whoever does that should be put back on 300baud rubber cup modem access to the Net until they've learned their lesson, or take up knitting instead.

3 - more speed = more contention. Again, old school concerns here - that we widen the pipe at the front doesn't automagically translate in a fatter pipe out of the back end. %g doesn't matter much if you have to pass through an IP-to-smoke-signals pipe at the back end to get anywhere. Even if it falls back on pigeons.

I like stuff that actually works, is well engineered and is based on properly agreed open standards, without the associated BS. Because I have seen enough BS already, and I must admit my tolerance for it diminishes with the years - limited as it was to start with..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon