Reply to post: Re: Hmmm...

Return of the audio format wars and other money-making scams

GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Hmmm...

@Alien8n: "MP3 killed the value of music"

I don't agree. .mp3 means you should really only be paying for the music, not the packaging, the distribution, the ground rent, or the distracted youth that staffs the record counter at the weekends.

CDs are cheaper because the distribution is cheaper. I still buy CDs, but I buy them online, I mean, why the heck would I wait until the weekend, drive into town. pay to park, only to discover that the local HMV don't have the album I want? Especially likely now, given half the floor devoted to music is now vinyl and t-shirts, and the CD section got squeezed.

I still have a record player hooked up in my home office, and occasionally spin up some old records, but there's no way in hell I'd ever spend money on new records. I used to love the Odyssey, searching for vinyl in many and various record shops, I always checked out the record shops in new cities I'd visit, but now, aged fifty, I just can't be *rsed with that any more. Some of the stuff I want is hard to find with Google, I'd really exhaust the shoe leather if actually went looking for it, for real.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon