Reply to post: Re: Spear phishing e-mails?

Return of the audio format wars and other money-making scams

Twanky

Re: Spear phishing e-mails?

I definitely recognise that! But imagine a future where all e-mail client software uses something like a RAG system?

Red: Your e-mail service provider has checked SPF/DKIM and it has failed. Do not trust.

Amber: Your e-mail service provider has NOT checked SPF/DKIM. There is no reason to think this e-mail is to be trusted.

Amber: Your correspondent's e-mail service provider has not set up SPF/DKIM. There is no reason to think this e-mail is to be trusted.

Amber: Your e-mail service provider has checked SPF/DKIM and it has passed - but we first received e-mails from this domain yesterday. There is no reason to think this e-mail is to be trusted.

Green: Your e-mail service provider has checked SPF/DKIM and it has passed - and we first received e-mails from this domain over a year ago. Trust as you see fit.

We could even make any links difficult to follow unless the message has achieved Green status...

Give the recipient the information to make a sensible decision. I do realise the marketeers would hate such a system so I'm pissing into the wind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon